Pages

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Narrative Elements FREEBIE

This week we worked on Narrative Elements. I explained that a narrative was just a fancy word for story and then we went through each element using these anchor pictures.
 I don't use problem/ solution anymore because I found that although many stories have one, not all do and the students were at a loss as to what to write. I did make sure to use those terms as we were identifying the beginning, middle, and end though.  I also like that this way of writing the plot supports the skill of summarizing more effectively.

Again, I used the back white board as my teaching area.We read a few stories and practiced identifying the narrative elements together.
 

We also identified the Author's Purpose referring to last week's board. I finally got a better picture.  
Then I asked the students to try using the same story map to plan their own narrative. I explained that a narrative can be fictional or personal and I let them decide which type they wanted to write.
You can download the anchor pieces and the story elements sheet {here} for FREE.

I also introduced the writing process this week using my posters.

   I had them brainstorm to decide if they felt like writing a personal or fictional narrative.
We discussed how we would be using a story map to plan this week.
As they were ready the students moved on to the draft stage.
Next week we will move on to read, edit, revise, etc. These posters are available {here} with a variety of different options.


We went on a fun field trip this week that I will have to post about later because I am off to a hair appointment. How often do you get your hair cut? My split ends have been driving me nuts so I am thinking I may need to visit a  little more often...

Separator

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jenn,



    I love this freebie. Thanks so much for sharing! I've just posted about it (I hope you don't mind!) on my own blog.



    Emer

    A Crucial Week

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your freebie, Jenn ... great way to make narrative elements clear! Thanks so much for sharing it! I featured your post as a Free Printable of the Day at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page and on Pinterest. :)

    ReplyDelete